Monday, June 30, 2008

The Most Wonderful Visit

It was so good to have mum over. We did and saw so much, and as friends.

We went to the Tate Modern and were disappointed with the collections (except the Russian propaganda room and the Seydou Keita room). Our first weekend had to include a trip to Borough Markets, and squeezing through the crowds we snacked on plump oysters and eclairs and proper fish and chips, which they were - golden and crunchy with hand-cut chips dunked in real mushy peas. (Sitting on the floor, which we'll never forget). The surprise was long gone but I'd been looking forward to taking mum to Covent Garden for Romeo and Juliet since I managed the nab the last decent tickets weeks before. It was so beautiful and we were hugely impressed. The prima ballerina was spectacular. I feel like I was dragged to ballet and opera as a young 'un and thought I wouldn't enjoy it, that is was more for mum; the opposite, I was swept away with the performance and music. We had such a good time that we went back the next day for a free lunchtime recital with a brilliant young soprana, and then in the evening for Tosca. I had tears streaming down my face. On her last day, we went to the Royal Banqueting Hall in Whitehall (on Horse Guard St *wink*) for a performance of Pavarotti's most famous arias which was a lot of fun. And today, I'm sitting here listening to Pavarotti and Callas and Puccini with CDs from the library. Thank you mum for showing me how beautiful this music is x

We saw the Sex and the City movie. Went to the National Gallery and ogled the Seurats and Ingres'. The V&A. We'd planned a long weekend in Paris and I was able to work two days together, so had five days in a row off and wondered where to go. To Islington to check on getting a Russian visa which wasn't to be but instead had a truly delicious lunch at Ottolenghi. Florence was an option. But we decided to go to Latvia.

2 comments:

AlphaChick said...

Ottolenghi ... oh how I miss it

la femme said...

sounds wonderful...