Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Eat

1. Whole Foods will be the end of me. Stopping in for, I'm not sure what really, I find a Simon Weaver Cotswold brie that I had wanted to try. It's mild and clean-tasting, but no hints of lush spring grass I had hoped.
2. At the Marylebone farmer's market on Sunday, there is not too much of everything, except friendly sellers, delicious chargrilled lamb rolls with homemade tomato sauce, good-looking yuppies and cheap vegies. Along with crunchy Red Pippin apples - the name is enough to buy them - a garlicky goat's cheese and new season asparagus, I nab two bags of field mushrooms the size of saucers for the price of one, and that evening make stuffed mushrooms. Onions sauteed gently, then mixed with chopped mushroom stems, breadcrumbs, thyme and parmesan, and topped with a disc of chevre, in which I press in a sprig of thyme to make it look pretty. Roasted. Unbelievably delicious.
3. After the markets, I stop into Waitrose, because there isn't one too near us, and I do love Waitrose. They have Charentais melons, for quite a bit cheaper than Whole Foods, and I really want to see how fragrant and sweet they are. Tonight, with slices of organic prosciutto di Parma from WF, some of the best I've ever had, just when I was 'getting over' prosciutto. Light and delicate, with bright orange sweet fruit, washed down with sparkling Grolsch. I'm happy.