Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Taking The Edge Off

I came home to an empty house, with intentions of watching The Big Game (Man U v Chelsea) at a pub, although secretly knowing I wouldn't. I took the edge off the day with a longneck of Peroni, and made my favourite homecooked dish in the world, mushroom pasta. It isn't a fast supper, but you'll be rewarded with slowly sauteeing the onion and garlic, and then again with the chopped field mushrooms, maybe half an hour all up. A good dollop of thick, yellow Guernsey cream, thyme, generous seasoning. Zest a little lemon - this is essential - it transforms the awkward, grey sauce into something special, and grate Parmiggiano before the first forkful.

I make enough for lunch tomorrow, again, secretly knowing it won't last that long, and eat it up with Ronaldo's goal, then Lampard's.

Update: Brilliant game!

5 comments:

iggy said...

And it's nearly Euro 2008 time so there will be football on all nest month too.

Sounds like the perfect meal to go with it.

Jules said...

iggy - yes! It's about time I get excited about it. Any early tips?

Mabs said...

Brilliant game? Painful game.

iggy said...

My money is on Holland at the moment.

By the way, I was in that deli you have pictures of this morning!

la femme said...

Looks wonderful.

My favourite comfort dish is mushrooms + white wine.