Sunday, May 11, 2008

The Last Few Days

Thursday
I've been taking the bus as much as I can, even if it takes 10 times longer than the Tube. I love sitting on the top for the best view around town. Popped down to Oxford Street to buy a bag from Mexx and crossed through Selfridges in a what-the-hell moment. Was struck dumb.struck by the fluro Marc Jacobs bags at the Oxford St entrance. I walked past them, backtracked, fell in love, touched their velvety grey insides. Fluro and grey. It's silly and necessary all in one, and I've never felt this way about a bag before.

Friday
Not wanting to take this glorious 25 degree weather for granted, we took the bus down to Brighton for the day. It had been blue skies all week but greyed over on Friday; no matter, we had a lovely day. Walked down the pier, through the little streets, had a nice lunch at one of the many Italian cafes. We really wanted fish and chips but equally didn't want to be ripped off as tourists coming to Brighton for beach and fish and chips, and Fat Leo's 2 courses for £5.95 was hard to beat. An icecream afterwards. The sun did come out an hour before the bus back, and we dipped our toes in the icey sea. I want to come back and jump in.
We are addicted to Peep Show. It's literally the best comedy ever. Must find previous seasons. We don't feel bad about staying in on Friday nights if this is the reward. Tell her I love her is the funniest thing we've ever heard.
Saturday
Drinks at Knightsbridge with lovely M and J, then drinks at trendy The Waterway at Little Venice. Very cool on the canal. Canals in London? Yes! Beautiful hot weather in London? Yes! Spotted my first Bill actor? Yes.
Sunday
Sunbaking by the Thames down the road from us. It's still a little weird stripping down to your bikini when you're in a park, but when in London...Everyone is picnicking and drinking jugs of Pimms and listening to the red-faced Irishman sing sea shanties. Delightful.
We come back and sit in the garden, with white zinfandel spritzers and the DJ's music coming from the laptop. Next door, a gentleman in white trousers and a checked blazer plays with his cute giggly grand-daughter. His English is extremely posh and the exchanges are hilarious:
"I won't pick that up for you again! No, I shan't. I shan't pick that up for you again!"
"Tell me which sentence is more grammatically correct?" (she is about two years old, mind).
"Your dolly has no hair. Why, she's Baldy-locks!"


9 comments:

Karen said...

As always, beautiful pictures. I have to say, I think it's great that people sun themselves in the park there. We're close enough to the beach to have swimsuits limited to the shore, but why not if there's no beach close enough!?

deepkickgirl said...

I'm so jealous, it's killing me.

Keep having a wonderful time, gorgeous.

Jules said...

Thanks lovelies x

Karen said...

And... does the Sex and the City movie come out in theaters on May 30th over there as well?

Jules said...

May 28 I think - are we all excited!

Cooks said...

looks perfect Jules!

Jules said...

Still waiting for details on the job, luvvie!!

Claire said...

Ha! Bill actors are everywhere... Sussex and the City - hilarious! Let's meet for a pink drink soon after we've both seen SATC (I bought my ticket ages ago - geek! and it's now sold out in greenwich) I have a feeling every girl in London is going to be putting on her highest heels, craziest dress and downing cosmos right about next wednesday. Eek! Am unashamedly excited...

Jules said...

It's a date. I'm excited too, but must take your lead and get tickets stat. It better not disappoint - or else.